Jeffer's Lane History

  • History of The Jeffers Lane Cemetery

    The Cemetery was originally part of the Chappaquiddick Indian Plantation.  When the United States government closed the reservation and divided the land among the Native American residents, it became the property of the Belaine family.

    A plaque commemorating that history will be erected this summer in July at the annual Chappaquiddick Tribe meeting in the cemetery.

     

Chappaquiddick Indian Burial Ground

The Chappaquiddick Indian Burial Ground is part of the ancestral lands of the Chappaquiddick Tribe of the Wampanoag Nation, was included in the Cleared Lands Reservation on North Neck, and was later allotted to Chappaquiddick individuals under the Massachusetts Act to Enfranchise Indians of 1869. The tribe also held a Woodlands Reservation. Prior to the arrival of the settlers, the tribe occupied the entire island of Chappaquiddick.

There are sixteen gravestones that mark the graves of individuals who were part of the Chappaquiddick Wampanoag Tribe or members of their families.  These include Charles, John, Lydia and Susan Webquish; William Belain; Lydia B. (Brown) Gardner; Sarah, Gladys and Harriet (Belain); Matilda and Moses Jeffers; Francis Goodridge; Robert and Sarah (Brown) Martin and her husband, William A. Martin;  and Lawrence Prince, the husband of Love (Madison) Prince. There are also ten gravestones that are unreadable, but probably belong to other members of these families.  The Chappaquiddick Wampanoag believe that field stones in the cemetery mark the burials of their ancestors from an earlier time.

Kutâputush Numanutmun (Thanks to our Creator) for inspiring this memorial to our ancestors - The Chappaquiddick Tribe.

Erected by the Edgartown Cemetery Commission